If you are heading off with the family for the school holidays next week, we want to help to get you on your way safely with a handy checklist to keep you moving! By working your way through our checklist, you can be as prepared as possible for your journey!
Often, heading off on holiday means longer journeys, therefore, additional checks need to be made to your car. The RAC reports an increase in breakdowns of between 20 and 30% in periods of hot weather, with some of those preventable, so if you inspect your vehicle before a long journey, you could avoid an unnecessary breakdown.
Some checks can be made yourself and those include:
- Oil and coolant levels
- All exterior and interior lights
- Tyre Condition (check the tread and make sure it is at least the legal minimum depth of 1.6mm)
- Spare Tyre (make sure you have one or at least a puncture repair kit)
- Jack and wheel brace
- Wiper blades
- Windscreen washer adjustment and fluid levels
- The electric cooling fan
You may need to ask a garage to check:
- Auxillary belt/Fan Belt
- Cooling system
Other things to consider:
- Do you know how to change a spare wheel? If not, maybe ask someone to show you and give it a try before you go
- Make sure you plan ahead
- Have water and other refreshments in the car
- If you are taking a long journey, plan in breaks
- if you are travelling with children, take activities for the journey to avoid distractions
We also recommend carrying these essentials items in your car:
- First aid kit
- Sat nav or up to date road map
- Fuel can
- Fire extinguisher
- High visibility clothing
- Warning triangle
- Extra oil, windscreen wash, and water
We hope you have a wonderful holiday and these tips have helped you to have a much safer journey!
For more news and blogs visit our website.
Like this story?
Get more content on our Facebook page.